This building is designed to minimize the risk of a general power failure resulting from causes within the building. We have a backup generator which operates one elevator in each elevator bank and provides emergency lighting through-out the building and in the stairways. Typically, should a power failure occur, it would affect either an isolated area of the building or some larger portion of the downtown area.
In the event of an electrical failure, the following guidelines should be observed:
- Contact the Benson Tower Management Office
- Open draperies and raise blinds to let in outside light. If there is adequate lighting from windows, continue performing assignments as well as possible.
- If you are instructed to evacuate, lock all areas.
- Do NOT congregate in lobby areas, move away from the building to your designated evacuation area.
- If you are trapped in an elevator during a power failure, wait for assistance. Your elevators will cease operation, but WILL NOT FALL. DO NOT FORCE open the doors. DO NOT PANIC. Use the phone inside the elevator to contact Benson Tower Security. Once the generator starts, the elevators will come down to the Bridge Level one elevator at a time.
- Security will advise you regarding the length and cause of the power failure as soon as possible over the Voice Evacuation system.
- Advise Building Management if you instruct your employees to go home so that we can arrange to have Superdome Parking expedite their departure from the Superdome parking garages.